Chlorine is a chemical that is used to prevent bacteria overgrowth in water supply, as well as for sanitation for sewage and industrial waste. It is also an ingredient in several household cleaning products.
Chlorine poisoning can occur when you swallow or inhale chlorine. It reacts with water inside and outside of the body (such as the water in your digestive tract) to form hydrochloric acid and hydrochlorous acid. Both of these substances are extremely poisonous.
Chlorine could make your skin and hair rough and brittle too.